Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Interview=intro-view


I have been unemployed for a while now, surfing the net and networking furiously to find myself a job. I have been plagued with doubt about my "hire-ability" and my self-esteem has been somewhere between the belly of a slug and the ground it oozes around on. So, after months of hard work trying to impress people with my resume submittals or "me on paper" I am faced with finally getting some face-time with a prospective employer. What should I wear to a big interview for the best possible first impression?

First of all, I have hired (and fired) many people in my day. That equates to me having sat through exponentially more interviews than I care to remember. I do not recall any single person that I have hired wearing anything of note. I am now looking deep into my fashionable soul and trying to decide what I should wear when I sit on the other side of that desk tomorrow. Experts say the following:
Women should wear a conventional suit or coordinating jacket and knee-length skirt. Dark colours suggest authority but bright can work with care.
Wear tights.
Don't wear lots of frills, trousers unless smart, low cut tops, or lots of make-up, perfume or jewellery.
Make sure your hair is neat and tidy.
Very high heels are not wise - it's important to feel comfortable in what you are wearing.
( I know they are experts, because they are obviously British)

I think I will do a classic silhouette of a black jacket, blue blouse, black pencil skirt and dark tights with mid-height heels. And you know what? I think I will raise my self esteem a bit and add a fun piece of non-intimidating jewelry!

No comments:

Post a Comment